Sunday 15 May 2011

Modernist Confit Cured Duck Legs

Today I started work on a recipe for Duck Leg Confit from Modernist Cuisine.

First off I needed to prepare the confit cure mix for the duck legs to cure in for 10 hours under vacuum.

I am only curing two duck legs so I needed to scale down the recipe from the book in order to cut down the amount of cure I had to make, however I still ended up with too much so I vacuum packed it to use another day on a different recipe. You will need digital gram scales for this recipe!

Ingredients for confit cure mix
200g kosher salt
20 toasted coriander seeds
2.2g mashed garlic
1.4g crushed star anise
1g finely grated orange zest
0.4g thyme leaves
0.16g crushed black peppercorns
0.08g thinly sliced bay leaves

Method
Combine, vacuum seal, and refrigerate until use.

With my cure mix made I then spread 41.5g of the mixture onto each duck leg and vacuum sealed before placing in the fridge to cure for 10 hours

The vacuum sealed duck leg with confit cure mix 

No comments:

Post a Comment